1. Last weekend I went to NYC for a long weekend hanging out chez skygiants
, which included going to see Les Misérables on Broadway with skygiants
. It was tremendous fun, and a really great show. I have promised a detailed write-up to various Les Mis-fandom friends, so expect that in the next few days, as soon as I get around to writing it all up. I also saw the Lego movie (great fun, although with a couple of flaws that I'll talk about if anyone hasn't seen it yet and wants spoilers) and helped inflict the MST3Ked Puma Man
on a roomful of folks. If you haven't seen Puma Man
, you owe it to yourself to do so, although I recommend doing it with friends and a punchy mood.
We also discovered an all-potato restaurant (with shoroko
and a Greek place where they do CHEESE ON FIRE (with bobbiewickham
. (Properly it's called saganaki and, I gather, is not necessarily set on fire, but I specifically wanted to find one that would bring it to your table in flames. Because, come on. CHEESE ON FIRE. Dirverting and
2. The weather continues to be unable to decide if it wants to be spring or winter. I do like winter, but I think late March is time for it to go away. Just give me weather in the 40s and I'll be happy! Or the 50s or the 60s; I'm flexible. Come on, spring.
New England spring as a rule lasts a few short weeks between mud season (cold, dreary, and lacking in any greenery, aka what we're in now) and early summer (hot enough that I can't comfortably wear a jacket to walk around any more), but every year I'm an optimist about it. We'll see what unfolds. It'd be nice if it would stop being in the teens and threatening to snow every so often, though.
3. Invisible Ficathon! For those of you who missed it, this was a fic exchange for canons which are fictional within
another canon. I consider this a stroke of genius. I haven't read through anything like all the archive yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so.
I received two stories, because I WIN. First, The Tale of the Dancing Cavalier
, which is 2200 words of pure hilarity about the protagonists of The
Dueling Dancing Cavalier
, aka the movie being made within Singin' In The Rain
. I also got a treat, Self-Direction
, a drabble-and-a-half about Buttercup and Westley's daughter Waverly, who only exists within the fictional sequel to The Princess Bride
I wrote Adventure on Io
, in the Captain Cosmos
tv show and comics series from the Fallout video games. Writing it was tons of fun
to write -- partly because Cam's a friend of mine, and writing secretly for friends always cracks me up, but mostly because cracked-out golden age pulp SF is just entirely too much fun. You can't even parody the genre, because every possible extent of cheesy glory already exists.
4) I've also been writing a lot of Les Mis fic that I've been lazy about cross-posting here. Um. It's all up on AO3! Except some trope-fics that I posted on tumblr and still haven't gotten around to cross-posting there, shame on me. Anyway, if you're interested in Les Mis fic, those exist!
5) Speaking of stories, I've sold one. :D To the Women Destroy Science Fiction!
special issue of Lightspeed
magazine. I am extremely pleased.
My story is about debutante burglars in a futuristic pseudo-Regency space colony. It's possibly the most hijinks-filled thing I've written.This entry is also posted at http://genarti.dreamwidth.org/162489.html. You can comment on LJ or DW, whichever you like. comments at DW.